Friday, March 27, 2015

"How do you like your gallo pinto cooked?"

“How do you like your gallo pinto cooked?”

I like my gallo pinto (traditional breakfast food that consists of rice and beans with some special juices and spices) with a fried egg on top and fried plantains on the side.

I thought the above question would be perfect to ask to the teenagers at Proyecto Jovenes as an ice-breaker. I had a college professor who asked the class how they liked their potatoes cooked and I thought that was so clever. So, why not try the question out with gallo pinto?

Although we did not use that as an ice-breaker, I thought it was humorous. I am getting acquainted with the teenagers that are a part of Proyecto Jovenes. Every Tuesday night, I teach an English class with a couple of my friends. The teenagers are noisy and like to make jokes. Their English is very good and when I speak in Spanish and make mistakes, they are quick to help me!

As I reflect on working with the teenagers last Tuesday, I am even more excited for the week ahead. Tomorrow, our ISEP group leaves for Altamira, which is a rural community located in the province of Puntarenas. Our group will work with AsoProLa (Asociacion de Productores La Amistad) to promote development and to protect the natural resources of the local national part (La Amistad International Park).

 I am looking forward to living with a host family, taking a typical Costa Rican food cooking class, participating in typical dance lessons, and playing soccer with the local children. Our group will be working every day for about seven hours and then have the nights to be with our host families and immerse ourselves in the community. We will not have wifi, so I will have plenty of time to read my books for class and spend time with the locals. I am looking forward to being disconnected from the rest of the world and being fully present during the trip.

Technically, the trip is a service learning trip. I am intrigued and excited about the possibilities and adventures of the week ahead. I am also celebrating the end of my first exam week with this trip (although one professor gave us our exam to do at home, but it is super long so I still have to work hard to finish the exam!).


I look forward to blogging and reflecting on our service learning trip once we return. I am also looking forward to celebrating Easter with my host family in Heredia. We return Saturday afternoon and I am planning on participating in one of the processions outside of our house Saturday night.

My tica friend, Priscilla. She studies with me an extra 2-4 hours/week and helps me understand our super difficult textbook. These are our faces after we found out the exam was "take-home" and that we did not have class. Priscilla has been my lifesaver!

Nicole, my tica friend, Language Exchange Partner, dictionary for the textbooks I do not understand, and one of the students from UNA who helped our group get adjusted to life here. Nicole is also going with us on the service learning trip. Nicole and I went to Castillo Country Club with her grandparents to swim in the pool on Tuesday after class.


Her grandparents packed a picnic for us. I have never eaten beans as good as the ones her grandmother made for our sandwiches.

Nicole's Grandparents

The view from Castillo Country Club (everyday, I am still amazed about how we literally LIVE IN THE CLOUDS).

1 comment:

  1. Caitlin,

    Just a quick note before you "unplug" for a week! Sounds like you have a very interesting and learning week ahead, I'm excited for you! Curious about the beans cooked for your sandwiches in the picnic taken to the Club?

    Took the African Palm Crosses into church today for Palm Sunday! Had a pleasant chat with your Dad (could definitely tell that he had lost weight!) We are going to serve Sue Carlson's recipe for ham sandwiches for Maundy Thursday with a salad and chocolate chip cookies! Going to have the Flower Cross for Easter, not sure we are going to have many flowers in our yards! Going down to the teens tonight, I am so tired of the cold (I get envious looking at your pictures)

    You sound like things are better for you and that makes me happy! Enjoy this week of service and study.

    Take care & love,
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete