Friday, July 18, 2014

Hasta Luego, Barranquilla

Hasta Luego, Barranquilla!


                I have been busy this week, so this is a summary of what I have been doing. Along with the different places I visited, I also had the opportunity to spend time with German’s family (German is the Coordinador de Nacional Oficina de Diconia). I also spent an evening with some of the friends I have made here. Enjoying time with my Colombian families and friends has been the perfect end to a great trip.



                I had the opportunity to visit farmers who live in the outskirts of Barranquilla. They are displaced farmers (by the guerillas, government, and other forces) who have been farming a large piece of land for many years. Within the last couple of years, a Colombian force has come in and bulldozed over their houses and their crops. These people are left with only the crops that survived and animals to live off of, with the hope that their request for new land from the government will go through. Although I did not understand everything that was said, I could see the expressions on their faces and see the pain in their eyes. I watched as their worn-out hands took detailed notes on the entire conversation. I could see their sun-touched skin from hours of working on the farm. I was able to connect with a couple of men on a walk at the end of the day (they were surprised I could speak Spanish and could understand them, since I had not understood much during the group conversation). I connected with the men because I was interested in their suffering and learning about their lives. They were also interested in knowing about my time in Barranquilla.


                                     

                                     

                                   

                This week I was also able to continue teaching English at El Colegio Nazareth Olaya. I taught with a student from Lee University and it was neat to compare our experiences of being in Colombia. I listened to the students as they sang songs in English in preparation for an event in the Fall. I was greeted with more hugs and “Cait, Cait”s than I have been greeted with my entire life. Spending my second and last week with the students showed me the impact I had made on the students’ lives and the impact they had made on mine. I taught them that learning a language is hard and it is okay to make mistakes. I learned more from the students than I have from any other group. Working with middle school students is great because they are always honest! We taught each other that being intrigued by our differences and similarities is what made our time together so special. I had the opportunity to thank everyone at El Colegio Nazareth Olaya by speaking on the school radio. After the radio show ended, everyone gathered for a photo shoot.

                                   

                                   

                                   


                                   

                                    


                                    

                One of the best parts of the week was my time with Sarah, Regional Coordinator of the Andea Region for Presbyterian Church USA (PCUSA). Sarah and I visited El Museo Caribe, which is in Barranquilla. The museum focuses on the coastal Caribbean area, but has a specific focus on Barranquilla. I had a great time reading about the history of Colombia and about different aspects of the country. I enjoyed being able to ask Sarah questions about observations I have made throughout my time here. My Spanish has vastly improved, but I still find it difficult to ask complicated questions. I loved sharing stories and experiences with Sarah because she has done lots of traveling in Latin American countries and speaks perfect Spanish! My time with Sarah was filled with storytelling, learning, and sharing. I am very grateful for the time we spent together engaging in conversation about this wonderful country and our experiences.

                                            

                Today I said goodbye to the students at El Colegio Nazareth Olaya. Tonight I am going out for my last night in Barranquilla with Gina and Omar. We are going to a well-known restaurant with live music. I had tears in my eyes today when I said bye to Johana. I am looking forward to going back and reading each of my posts once I arrive home.  For now, I am enjoying every last moment. Gina and I leave for Cartagena tomorrow morning. We will be spending time with Omar’s cousin and touring Cartagena for two days. My flight leaves Sunday evening and I will arrive in the USA on Monday morning. Thank you to everyone who has been following my blog. I will post some reflections once I arrive home and have settled in. I might even write a post in Spanish! Bendiciones!

                                                   






















No comments:

Post a Comment