Sunday, July 13, 2014

Fiestas

Fiestas

                While living in Barranquilla for five weeks, I have attended two weddings, three birthday parties, family time on Sundays, Communion Sunday at church, and many parties to watch the soccer games. I have been out and about in Barranquilla at different fiestas and have become a pretty good salsa dancer! Gina and I were reflecting on the celebrations that I have been a part of during my time in Barranquilla. I am so glad I have had the opportunities to experience different aspects in the lives of Colombians and Barranquilleros.
                I enjoy my time at the many different fiestas because of the energy and excitement that is always present. Music, dancing, quick spoken Spanish, and laughter fill the room…people from different churches and different families reunite for a celebration that will be talked about for the next year. I participated in Communion Sunday at church and was able to see how a Colombian church celebrates The Lord’s Supper.  I have eaten different types of traditional Colombian food, learned the tune to “Feliz Cumpleanos,” and cheered loudly with proud soccer fans. I recognize songs on the radio and can hold my own in a conversation solely spoken in Spanish.
Fiestas in Colombia are the best fiestas I have ever experienced. After being at a birthday party where one entire church surprised their minister by showing up singing and dancing with a band, I am ready to have my birthday in Barranquilla! I hope everyone is able to experience a Colombian fiesta at some point…maybe I’ll even host a Fiesta de Barranquilla!

Fiesta de Cumpleanos 

Learning to Dance

Communion Sunday at La Iglesia Septima

Family Time with Grandmother Sofia

Time with Colombian Family from Atlanta, GA

Sunday Afternoon/Evening

Family Time with Aunt Marta

Fiesta de Cumpleanos

Fiesta de Cumpleanos

Hello Barranquilla



No comments:

Post a Comment