Sunday, July 6, 2014

Freedom

Freedom


As I lay in the hammock on the porch, sweating profusely, I can’t help but reflect on the last few days. I realized that my time in Colombia is halfway over…and that is sad! I also spent time at the Presbytery office and with a family from La Iglesia Septima. Of course, I thoroughly enjoyed the big game and turning into a crazy Colombia soccer fan! I did not celebrate 4th of July here; instead I just looked at the social media posts from my friends and family in the United States and celebrated with them.

A lot of my social media friends posted about 4th of July and made comments about being thankful for being free and about the United States of America (USA) being the best country. Growing up in the USA I have grown to appreciate my freedom to attend any school I want to attend, travel outside of the USA on several different occasions, and practice my religion freely. I have also had the opportunities to experience and appreciate life in other countries.  As we celebrate the 4th of July and the freedom we have as citizens of the United States, it reminds me that with this freedom comes responsibility. In many places, such freedom is not a right given to people.  I hope that one day everyone one in every nation can experience the freedom that we have in the United States of America.

But, I have also learned that even in places where people may not have the same freedom to celebrate that we do, they have other gifts to celebrate. Knowing how privileged we are to have freedom as a right is important because in many places, freedom is not a right, it is a privilege. The privilege of freedom is not experienced by people in numerous countries. However, those countries have other qualities and gifts that should also be recognized and celebrated. So, Happy Independence Day…thank you, USA, for the gift of freedom; being free to express myself and have parents who believe it is important to see the world.

As I have mentioned in previous blogs, there are many things that I have grown to love about Colombia. My 4th of July this year was spent at the Virtual Stadium in Barranquilla. After meeting some new friends outside of the stadium and being videotaped by the Sports channel for Colombia national television, Johana, Brigitte, and I ventured into the virtual stadium. I have never seen so much yellow in one place. I have also never been so hot in my entire life! My shirt was soaked with sweat before the game even started. The Colombian fans were extremely loud and filled with pride. The energy in the not-air conditioned building was amazing. I do not think there is a single Colombian who does not support their soccer team. There are no divides and no equality issues when it comes to soccer or any of the soccer fans. Colombia has a sense of pride and support that is unmatchable and should be recognized by the world.

I have learned through all of my travels, and specifically in my time with the Presbytery of Barranquilla, is that our faith transcends whatever country we live in. Throughout my travels, I have worshiped in an Islamic temple, a Buddhist temple, a Presbyterian church in Sao Paulo, Brazil, South America, Presbyterian churches in Cameroon, Africa, Presbyterian churches in Colombia, South America, and I attend a Methodist, an American Baptist, and a Presbyterian church in Charlotte, North Carolina. As I told a friend earlier today, I am a Presbyterian to the core. But, experiencing different religions and different churches teaches me that no matter our differences, our qualities, or our freedoms, we have a faith that cannot be destroyed. Whether I am a Presbyterian in Troy, OH or in Barranquilla, Colombia, I am a Presbyterian with a faith that connects me to numerous people. I am a Presbyterian that respects other religions and other people because of my connection to Christ. People from different backgrounds, religions, and countries are connected because of their different faiths and different paths of being led to a God. Faith transcends the country we come from, the country we live in, the soccer games we win, and our social status…faith is the tie that binds together different countries, different freedoms, and qualities.

On Colombian National Television...I even led a COLOMBIA chant after this photo was taken



Inside the Virtual Stadium




Thank you, Brigitte and Johana!


The Crazy Presbyterians






                

No comments:

Post a Comment