Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Rapidamente, My Time

Rapidamente, My Time

I have spent six days in Barranquilla. They have been the fastest six days of my life! I have been to various places in the city, worshiped about four times, and met a plethora of new people. I have received and given more kisses on cheeks, as greetings, than I ever have before. I have been welcomed by, what seems like, everyone in the city. I have already been changed…and it has only been six days!

                   

My life in Charlotte and Troy is consumed with various activities. I am always going somewhere to work, study, visit with friends, or run errands. I do not know what to do when I am not busy. My life in Barranquilla is very similar to my life in the United States. I have opportunities to visit new places and meet new people every day. I go to at least two different places each day and meet countless numbers of people. I soak up knowledge of my new language and make endless mistakes while speaking Spanish each day! Gina and I always manage to make time for a siesta (nap time after lunch) before the second part of the day. I look forward to sharing all of my stories with anyone who wants to listen. But, for the purpose of this blog and for the sake of my readers’ time, I cannot share every story, every moment, or every funny language mistake that I make.

                  
Mi Amiga, Johana, la profesora a El Colegio Nazareth Olaya


On Saturday morning, I was a part of a Presbytery meeting for Sunday School teachers. I understood most of what was said (my level of comprehension of Spanish is much better when people speak slowly. My new phrase is “hablar despaseo por favor”).  Jairo translated for me, so I was able to know what they were meeting about. After the meeting, I watched Colombia play in the World Cup with some youth from the Presbytery. I have never seen people so excited about a game! Each time Colombia scored, loud music played in the streets, everyone cheered, and people honked their car horns. That evening, I met a member of Kirkmont Summer Staff, Camilo, the son of Gloria, with whom I will be living with for ten days. Camilo drove me around Barranquilla and then we went to the biggest mall in the city, BuenaVista. We met Gina and Omar for dinner at Crepes y Waffles, a Colombian restaurant with an American twist, where I indulged in crepes and ice-cream. I have been to three malls thus far. The malls have food courts with good, traditional Colombian food! They also have grocery stores and restaurants, so we generally eat meals at malls.



        

Ice-Cream at Crepes y Waffles; the big class is the "Brazil Special" for the World Cup

On Sunday, I had the privilege of worshiping at La Iglesia Septima Presbiteriana Barranquilla, the home church of Gina and Omar Bolivar. I was introduced to the congregation three times and gave American candy to the children...and Omar! I sang the songs and was able to be present the day that Gina preached. Being in worship with Iglesia Septima was a gift from God.




Church with the children and Michael, a student from Lee University in Tennessee


The beginning of this week consisted of a day by the pool with Alexandra, the daughter of a pastor who works at the Presbytery, working out at the gym with Jair (Assistant to the Secretary of the Presbytery), delicious breakfasts cooked by Omar, muchos mangos, speaking only in Spanish, visiting a community that Iglesia Septima supports, and time at the office of the Presbytery. 

                      

                     
Swimming with Alexandra at the oldest and most famous hotel in Barranquilla, the Hotel El Prado

As I sit in my new “office” in the office of the Presbytery of the North Coast, I am reminded of how much I have already learned. I am also reminded of the various activities I have already been a part of and the many experiences I have to look forward to. I am reminded of the Bible verse that I often refer to: Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8: “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven; a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to le and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.” While many of these verses do not apply to my time in Colombia, they apply for all of us in our lives. 





Visiting the community that Iglesia Septima supports

           Remembering to relax, show emotion, learn from my mistakes, salsa dance, be vulnerable, pray, and make different decisions is a part of my life in Colombia. While learning a new language and being totally immersed in a new culture is difficult, I know there is a time and a place for everything. Barranquilla, Colombia is my place and this is my time…to learn a new language, immerse myself in a new culture, advance my knowledge of Iglesia Presbiteriana de Colombia, and gain experiences of a lifetime.











No comments:

Post a Comment