Monday, June 23, 2014

First Time I'm Considered Colombian

          If you know me, you know I love to be tan. I got some sun in Charlotte before coming to Colombia so that, #1, I would not get sun burned every day in the hot Barranquilla sun, and #2, so I could hopefully fit in as a Colombian and not a tourist.  Much to my dismay, people always know I am not a natural-born Colombian (my Colombian friends say it is because I have blue eyes and wear tourist shoes...Sperrys and Keens). I even bought a Colombia soccer jersey, got my fingernails done in Colombia colors, and wear Colombia accessories! I do not look like the Barranquilleros, but I do love their country and their people close to the way they do. The people who spot me out as a tourist do not realize that even though I am not a natural-born Colombian, I am a Colombian for many reasons. Two of those are because of my love for the people of this country, specifically Barranquilla, and because of my Colombian spirit during soccer games!

Colombian pride in one of my new homes

German y Yo

Una Fiesta

        I am also a Colombian because I have many new families in Colombia. Everytime I meet a new person or family I find myself saying, "I like them so much or me gusta..." Each day I meet someone new and am delighted to be in their presence. Last week I spent time at the office of the Presbytery of Barranquilla. I was able to meet every person that walked in the door and sit-in on top-secret meetings (just kidding about the top secret part, but they were muy chevere!) I even got an official "Iglesia Presbiteriana de Colombia" notebook. I have a family at the office of the Presbytery of Colombia, which makes me Colombian.

Jair, Assistant Secretary of the Presbytery

German, Jairo, and Diego in a meeting

         I had the privilege of meeting the members of my sister church, La Iglesia Cuarta, at the end of the week and moved in with their pastor, Gloria for the week. I spent one day with a family from the church and attended a barbecue at La Iglesia Cuarta on Saturday evening. I worshipped with them on Sunday and was able to engage in conversations about peace and how Iglesia Presbiteriana de Colombia can involve themselves in learning about peace and how to achieve some sort of peace in this country, in this city, and in our world. I spent Sunday afternoon with a young adult from the congregation and her family. We were able to get to know each other and even watch the USA soccer game! I am a Colombian because of my connections with the people of Iglesia Presbiteriana de Colombia.

Barbecue with La Iglesia Cuarta

Jair and Angela, Young Adults in the Presbytery

The Osio Family








No comments:

Post a Comment