Saturday, October 3, 2015

#LifeOfAnIntern in Photos

#LifeOfAnIntern in Photos
      
      I know it has been a while since I have posted, so for now, here are some photos and descriptions to depict what I have been doing for the past few weeks. I have always led a busy life, but in D.C., I never take a break and I LOVE it.

      I have been volunteering as much as I am able and have also had many different informational interviews. I have had the exciting opportunity to run with homeless people at 5:45am on Friday mornings with a nonprofit organization called Back On My Feet. One of my friends meets me at my building at 5:30am and we journey to the "starting line" for morning stretches and the Serenity Prayer before we embark on our 2-3 mile walk/run. I truly believe that Back On My Feet is a start to resolving the issue of homelessness. Please look them up if you are interested in knowing more about them! Another exciting opportunity I have had is to volunteer with KEEN (Kids Enjoy Exercise Now). KEEN is a nonprofit organization that promotes sports and activities with kids with all types of disabilities. I spent 4 hours volunteering with them today and was reminded of my passion of working with children with disabilities. I am looking forward to doing a project on their organization and to volunteering with them as much as I can before the semester is over. In between interning and volunteering, of course, I have managed to have lots of fun...


Jumping into the river in Baltimore


My friend and I spent 6 hours at The Baltimore Book Festival....books, education resources, art, music, vendors, writing workshops, and so much more....we had a perfect day.


Baltimore, MD


Birthday Dinner in Georgetown for a friend's birthday


Lunch at a Pupuseria....El Salvadorian food....with my coworker who is from El Salvador...I was the only gringa in the restaurant and made everyone in there proud by devouring every last bit of my pupusas, tamales, and fried yuca!



The back of the Capitol

Reconnecting with Kevin, the leader from the USA (when I was a Junior Counselor at the Village in Brazil)...not to mention, eating a delicious brunch (D.C. is Brunch City!)

This painting was in the auction for Nueva Vida's fundraising art exhibition....it has become somewhat of an inspiration to me as I work each day. This child's mom died over the summer. I love my internship more and more each day.


My first outreach event was with a community of women from Mexico who live in a trailer park community. The women had their graduation from community strengthening/building classes through a local nonprofit organization. My coworker and I recorded intake assessments in-person (so we could navigate them to appointments for mammograms and pap smears as soon as possible) and then we engaged in an amazing feast of homemade Mexican food! The women welcomed me with open arms and this was the day that confirmed to me that I am meant to work in the Human Services field and that I love community outreach.



As I work engaging in community outreach, recording intake assessments, and talking with Latina women on the phone (I had one of the most incredible phone conversations last week with a woman who spoke enough English to help me understand her address and tell me she wanted to meet me), I am also helping to organize our Zumbathon! I began with the task of simply getting raffle items donated. Now, I am helping to find big sponsors, get food donated, and draft different letters and email. I even created the slogan we are using, "Jump, Jive, and Join Nueva Vida..."

So, jump, jive, and join with me on my #LifeOfAnIntern journey. I promise to try to update my blog more often. I am literally having the time of my life. Thanks to everyone for their love, support, and prayers.




1 comment:

  1. Dear Caitlin,

    So glad to see another post!!! I am so impressed by all that you are doing, wow, actually just reading everything wore me out!:-) There doesn't seem to be anything that you are not doing and it all sounds great and I am so very proud of you! The enthusiasm you have for everything ( homeless, kids, Latina women, etc.) is so impressive and I know will show in all that you become involved in. I loved the Outreach event story and you stating that you were meant for Human Services and Community Outreach (but I wanted to add that the feast of homemade Mexican food probably helped!!! Glad to know that you and friends are doing fun things on weekends. I guess I am just happy for you!!!

    All is well here, not ready for cold weather but I never am. World Communion today, such a awesome thing, your Dad's sermon was super (loved glancing over at your Grandmother and watching her as he preaches :-) so proud) Went to a Baby shower for my niece who is due in November, she looks so good and is having a little girl!

    You take care and stay safe knowing that you are in my thoughts and prayers,
    Love,
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete