Sunday, May 31, 2015

Hoy en La Feria...Today at the Farmer's Market

Hoy en La Feria….Today at the Farmer’s Market (well, yesterday!)

1 lemon tree (lemons to make lemonade)
1 HUGE papaya
2 pineapples
1 HUGE watermelon
6 maracuyas (the fruit that makes my favorite juice in the whole wide world!)
12 sweet lemons (taste like oranges)
5 large mangos

          I have decided that you have not experienced a true feria (the equivalent to “farmer’s market” in Spanish) until you have carried everything you bought through the streets in 90 degree weather with beating sun. I went to the feria with my host mom yesterday. We bought tons of fresh food. After adventuring to the hospital (I have never seen the hospital here, thank goodness!) and through the 8 blocks of the feria, we decided we should take a taxi home. We journeyed to find a taxi since it would be a long walk carrying pounds and pounds of fresh fruit and a tree! As we struggled to walk, four taxis flew by us while we desperately waved our hands at them to stop for us! We couldn't help but to laugh hysterically, stop every few minutes to take a break, and continue until we finally found a taxi to drive us home!

        Once we got home, we planted the lemon tree together. My favorite part of my house is still our garden. I am glad I am not the one doing the gardening! But, I did enjoy being a part of shopping for the tree and then planting it! Yesterday was the perfect Saturday morning! 

Welcome to La Feria!

Before our shopping



This manga (mangas are big mangos) was HUGE!

Mami Tica picking out mangos (she knows they are my favorite)


Use of umbrellas as protection from the sun is very popular here.

Platanos, Plantains...yum yum yum

Yuca is in the top right hand corner....yuca looks like a tree!

Maracuyas....the fruit of my favorite juice...fresco de maracuya!

Our bags in front of the tree stand.


After shopping...Mami carried a bag on her shoulder and two bags in her hands (one of which was the tree!). I carried two bags in my hands.

A random photo, but this is the view from my bus stop. AM/PM is a small, nice grocery store. MusManni is the famous bakery chain of Costa Rica.

Digging the hole for our new lemon tree.


Hospital of Heredia

A statue outside of the hospital.

Last weekend in the waves of Tamarindo during sunset.


Exploring in Tamarindo last weekend.

I love the waves!



1 comment:

  1. Dear Caitlin,

    The fruit you bought at the farmer's market look delicious and the lemon tree certainly will pay for itself! I can only imagine how fantastic La Feria was, another super memory! Do Maracuyas taste like anything I would know? Yesterday we were about 85 and today in the 60's and right now 54; doing the normal Ohio thing weather wise! I prefer high 70's, low 80's and would rather not have to now shiver!

    Had Baptismal renewal and anointing today; your Dad does such a good job! Your Mom did gardening at old house yesterday and then lay out; I only know this because I commented on how tan she looked!

    One of my nieces is due 06.07.15 and another one is due sometime in November; baby time:-)

    Can't wait to see you and know that when you leave it will be very bittersweet as you have become quite immersed in your new family and Costa Rican life. Just remember the recipes so you can share with us a part of your time there.

    Take care and love,
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete