Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Soy Una Tica (Posiblemente)

Soy Una Tica (Posiblemente)
Yesterday, I did a lot: I took the bus to school, walked up a very long hill to the gym, was told I needed to pay first, so I walked all the way back down the hill and across campus and down the street, paid for my gym membership, did homework in the library, went to the gym and conversed with the woman working, signed up for a personal training session, exchanged money at the bank, ran some errands downtown, and came home on the bus. Yesterday was the first day that I felt like I could be on my own and be totally fine (all day, every day). I got off the bus at the MusManni and felt like I was home.
I feel like I can take on Heredia, sola; in part, because I survived my first week of classes. After making many changes, I went to three of my four classes last week. This week I will attend all four of my classes. I am enrolled in Morphology, Basics of Phonetics and Morphology, Feminist Thinking of Indigenous People, focused on indigenous people of Costa Rica, and a Learning Spanish and Costa Rican culture class. I also signed up for a tutoring program with a professor, in which I will learn more grammar and have homework assignments that will add to my knowledge of the Spanish language and support what I am practicing in each of my classes.
Today, I enjoyed eating lunch (that my Mami tica packed for me) outside in the main quadrant of campus. I am not sure if there is entertainment every day, but yesterday and today there was live music and some talent show type events going on during the lunch hour. I am enjoying being a member of the gym on campus. The gym is super small, but I feel revived after I work out. I never realized how much working out did for my body and my mind. Also, the gym has trained staff members that give new members of the gym a tutorial of how to use each machine. I have my tutorial on Friday, but today one of the men working there helped me with my technique. I am grateful to have a place to work out, although walking home today is going to be difficult because I am so sore!
There have been some issues with scheduling classes and the university being on the same page as ISEP and ISEP being on the same page as my family in the States, my family tica, and me. However, everything has finally worked out. I am getting into a routine and I belong here! My friends and family in Ohio and North Carolina are experiencing freezing cold weather and lots of snow. I am experiencing super hot days, no air conditioning, and sometimes forgetting sunscreen and dealing with the aftermath of that (although I am pretty tan now!), but I would not trade this time for anything. Have fun in the snow, my friends...I am thinking of you with a smile on my face! I will try to send some sun and warm weather your ways!
Manuel Antonio...a group of girls from ISEP went to this beach this weekend. We had a four hour bus ride and stayed at a hostel.
Learning to dance with my friend's tico cousin

Sunset on the beach with my ladies

Sunset

My new hat (it is perfect because it covers my face, neck, and ears!)

 
I tried to snorkel.

But the water was not clear, so I just swam.

Our hostel had a pool that was nice to shower in!
Claire's birthday celebration....we ran into Kenneth, who is one of the students from UNA that helped us schedule our classes.

Sometimes we like to play doctor after I get home from classes.
 My Papi tico loves to take photos.


1 comment:

  1. Caitlin,

    Just seeing you in shorts and a pool makes me a bit jealous!:-) -4 last night, might make -9 tonight, so very cold! But, I keep reminding myself that we are not Boston with 10 feet of snow (that's double my height!) Sounds like you are getting used to everything and fitting in quite well! Enjoy and learn!

    Love,
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete